Online Comment Form Submission No. 2
Note: This submission was contributed by the author(s) to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s Consultation on Online Reputation.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this document are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
It’s great to see the OPC is now addressing online, often anonymous, defamation.
Much of this originates in other countries, and there is very little Canadians can do.
Although the issue is now being looked at, Canada is several years behind many other countries when it comes to protections and rights, such as the right to be forgotten.
Here are some valuable comments from Canadians regarding online defamation, revenge, and gossip sites:
- It needs to be stopped!! It has ruined too many reputations of people. — Anonymous
- This is disgusting, and needs to get shut down. — N.L., Alberta
- I cannot believe this site is allowed to operate. — X, British Columbia
- This is a very hurtful and untrue site that people use to slander others and to bully those without them being able to speak truths. Many people have committed suicide and have anxiety problems due to this ridiculous site let's take it down! — B, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Regardless if this site is operating legally, it is still a testament to how ridiculous things are in this world. I understand there are bad people who may deserve an outing, but the fact that a generally good person's life may be affected negatively based on the fact someone was a little slighted is disturbing. — G.R., Calgary, Alberta
- I am a victim of this cyber—bullying site and it has done a number on my reputation just like others who are victims of this website and this site needs to be taken down. — M.B., Coquitlam, British Columbia
- Cyberbullying needs to be taken more seriously. — B, Coquitlam, British Columbia
It’s time to offer Canadians some real protection from these attacks on their reputation, employment opportunities, and mental well-being.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: