Seminar on new technologies and consumer protection
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Union des Consommateurs
The Union des consommateurs organized a seminar for consumers in the digital age with the support of the Office de la protection du consommateur. This event offered an opportunity to explore not only the potential of new information and communication technologies, but also the threats they pose to consumers. Themes included:
- Digital exclusion, and initiatives to use new information technologies to include people left behind by the digital age
- How the digital age has changed the consumer environment and what future technologies can offer us
- E-commerce and online consumer protection, marketing and behavioural targeting, privacy, and a look at the threats and opportunities for digital-age consumers
- Technology to aid civic engagement and increase international pressure for social responsibility and good governance
- Online dispute resolution: a new UN program
- Distance contracts and the law
- New child-targeted marketing and the law
The seminar, Consumers in the Digital Age: Issues and Opportunities, took place March 14 and 15, 2011. Eighteen presenters spoke during four separate thematic blocks, each led by a facilitator. A total of 136 participants attended the seminar, representing consumer groups, universities, research centres, governmental and non-governmental organizations, law firms, community organizations and information and communications technologies (ICT) businesses.
This document is available in the following language(s):
OPC Funded Project
This project received funding support through the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s Contributions Program. The opinions expressed in the summary and report(s) are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. Summaries have been provided by the project authors. Please note that the projects appear in their language of origin.
Union des consommateurs
6226 Saint-Hubert Street, 3rd Floor
Montreal, QC H2S 2M2
Tel: (514) 521-6820
Fax: (514) 521-0736
- Date modified: