An update regarding the Equifax breach is available.
September 15, 2017
OPC launches investigation into Equifax breach
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) has opened an investigation into the data breach at Equifax Inc. after receiving several complaints and dozens of calls from concerned Canadians.
Equifax has committed to notifying all impacted Canadians in writing as soon as possible. The company will also offer free credit monitoring to those individuals.
The company is still working to determine the number of Canadians affected by this incident. At this point in time, it is not clear that the affected data was limited to Canadians with U.S. dealings.
The investigation is a priority for our office given the sensitivity of the personal information that Equifax holds.
Some tips for concerned individuals:
- Canadians should not check whether they are affected by the breach via the U.S. website that Equifax has set up. The site was designed for use with U.S. social security numbers.
- Consumers can reach Equifax at 1-866-828-5961 (English service) and 1-877-323-2598 (French service) or email EquifaxCanadaInquiry@Equifax.com. They can also check for updates on the Equifax Canada website.
- Equifax has said that it will not be calling affected consumers. Hang up if someone calls claiming to be from Equifax as scammers may try to take advantage of the breach – don’t trust the caller ID display as this can be spoofed. Do not provide personal information over the phone or by email.
- Monitor your credit cards and bank accounts regularly and keep a close eye out for any transactions you did not authorize. Report any issues right away.
- If you identify a concern involving a theft/crime, report the incident to local police. Report any incidents involving a scam or fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.
- If you think you have been targeted by identity fraud, advise your bank and credit card companies. Close any accounts and cancel any cards that may have been compromised.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: