Legal information related to PIPEDA
Federally-regulated private sector and out-of-province exchanges of personal information
- Starting on January 1, 2001, the law applies to personal information of clients and employees in the federally regulated private sector, such as airlines, banking, broadcasting, interprovincial transportation and telecommunications.
- The law also applies to all organizations that disclose personal information for consideration outside a province or the country.
- Since January 1, 2002, the law also applies to personal health information for the organizations and activities already covered in the first stage.
Commercial use of personal information within individual provinces
- Since January 1, 2004, the law extends to every organization that collects, uses or discloses personal information in the course of a commercial activity within a province, whether or not the organization is a federally-regulated business or not.
- However, the federal government may exempt organizations and/or activities in provinces that have adopted privacy legislation that is similar to the federal law.