PIPEDA Fair Information Principle 6 – Accuracy
More about Accuracy
Your responsibilities as a business
- Comply with all 10 of the principles of Schedule 1.
- Minimize the possibility of using incorrect information when making a decision about the individual or when disclosing information to third parties.
How to fulfill these responsibilities
- Keep personal information as accurate, complete and up to date as necessary, taking into account its use and the interests of the individual.
- Keep frequently used information accurate and up to date unless there are clearly set out limits to this requirement.
- One way to determine whether information needs to be updated is to ask whether the use or disclosure of out of date or incomplete information would adversely affect the individual.
- Apply the following checklist for accuracy:
- List the specific items of personal information required to provide a service.
- List the location where all related personal information can be found.
- Record the date when the personal information was obtained or updated.
- Record the steps taken to verify the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information. This may require reviewing your records or communicating with your customer.
- Date modified: