PIPEDA Fair Information Principle 4 – Limiting Collection
More about Limiting Collection
- Collection of Driver’s Licence Numbers Under Private Sector Privacy Legislation — A Guide for Retailers
Your responsibilities as a business
- Comply with all 10 of the principles of Schedule 1.
- Do not collect personal information indiscriminately.
- Do not deceive or mislead individuals about the reasons for collecting their personal information.
How to fulfill these responsibilities
- Limit the amount and type of the information gathered to what is necessary for the identified purposes.
- Identify the kind of personal information you collect in your information-handling policies and practices.
- Ensure that staff members can explain why the information is needed.
- By reducing the amount of information gathered, you can lower the cost of collecting, storing, retaining and ultimately archiving data.
- Collecting less information also reduces the risk of inappropriate uses and disclosures.
- Date modified: