PIPEDA Fair Information Principle 4 – Limiting Collection
More about Limiting Collection
- Collection of Driver’s Licence Numbers Under Private Sector Privacy Legislation — A Guide for Retailers
Reviewed: May 2019
- Collect only the personal information your organization needs to fulfill a legitimate identified purpose.
- Be honest about the reasons you are collecting personal information.
- Collect personal information by fair and lawful means. This requirement is intended to prevent organizations from collecting information by misleading or deceiving about the purpose.
How to fulfill these responsibilities
- Identify the kind of personal information you collect in your information-handling policies and practices.
- Limit the amount and type of information you collect to what is needed for the identified purposes.
- Ensure your staff can explain why your organization needs this information.
- By reducing the amount of information gathered, you can lower the cost of collecting, storing, retaining and ultimately archiving or disposing data.
- Collecting less information also reduces the risk and/or impact of loss or inappropriate access, use or disclosure.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: