10 privacy tips for businesses
Revised: February 2019
With privacy becoming ever-more important to consumers, good privacy practices are good for business. Follow these tips to protect your customers’ personal information and comply with the federal law.
- Get your customers’ consent to collect their personal information and limit your collection and retention of it.
- Ensure staff receive appropriate privacy protection training.
- Limit and monitor access to personal information and take appropriate action when an employee accesses information without authorization.
- Think twice before collecting sensitive personal information, such as driver’s licenses.
- Inform customers if you are using video surveillance.
- Protect personal information on laptops, USB keys and portable hard drives through technological safeguards such as encryption and password protection.
- Respond to requests for access to personal information in a timely manner.
- Safeguard personal information against privacy breaches and report breaches that could result in significant harm to an individual.
- Make sure your customers know who to speak to if they have questions about privacy.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Error 1: No selection was made. You must choose at least 1 answer.
- Date modified: