Legal information related to PIPEDA
Act and Regulations
The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
The complete version of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) last amended on April 1, 2011 as posted on the Department of Justice Canada Web site. (bilingual version of the Act in PDF format)
We have developed a fact sheet that provides an overview of both the Privacy Act and PIPEDA.
The OPC has also developed a fact sheet on Parts 2 to 5 of PIPEDA.
Regulations and orders
- Regulations Specifying Investigative Bodies (SOR/2001-6)
- Regulations Specifying Publicly Available Information (SOR/2001-7)
- Order Binding Certain Agents of Her Majesty for the Purposes of Part 1 of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (SOR/2001-8)
- Electronic Alternatives Regulations for the Purposes of the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act (SOR/2004-308)
- Secure Electronic Signature Regulations (SOR/2005-30)
- Electronic Alternatives Regulations for the Purposes of Subsection 254(1) of the Canada Labour Code (SOR/2008-115)
Orders Exempting Substantially Similar Provincial Legislation
- Process for the Determination of "Substantially Similar" Provincial Legislation by the Governor in Councilin Canada Gazette Vol. 136, No. 31 – August 3, 2002 (at page 2385)
- Organizations in the Province of Quebec Exemption Order (SOR/2003-374)
- Organizations in the Province of Alberta Exemption Order (SOR/2004-219)
- Organizations in the Province of British Columbia Exemption Order (SOR/2004-220)
- Health Information Custodians in the Province of Ontario Exemption Order (SOR/2005-399)
- Personal Health Information Custodians in New Brunswick Exemption Order (SOR/2011-265)
- Personal Health Information Custodians in Newfoundland and Labrador Exemption Order (SI/2012-72)
Schedule 1 of PIPEDA contains 10 privacy principles, which are referred to throughout the Act.